Desert challenge success
Weston, Nova Scotia
Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Rugby, Softball, Track And Field
Write on board
Ben Brown uploaded a new photo
I have to be honest prior to last night I didnt expect to be as close as I am now to paralympic b time standards this early in the season in the 100m, 200m and especially 400m. Last week I just qualified for national championships in the 400m then to drop another 3 seconds in the 400m alone is amazing. I almost dropped .6 seconds off my 100m just over 3 in 200m and as well almost 12 in 800m from last week. With the 800m im now .7 off national standards. My goal with the 800m was to be on the door step by end of season. Im so happy right now. For those who think me not getting a "real job" to pursue 2016 rio is a waste of time well last night shows that if you give 110% into something you believe in you will get that back. Never Back Down Get After It
Athlete SwagSo proud of you!
Tonights results: Tonights results 200m 30.04 3rd, 800m 2:09.94 3rd place, 100m 17.52 4th and 400m 58.41 3rd 4 personal bests and 4 provincial records!! Pushed the best races of my life. Great experience for me. Almost qualified for nationals in the 800m. About 700s of a second off ipc b standard in 100m. Less than second off the 200m b standard about 1.6 seconds off 400m b standard. Now to recover Get After It
Strength Training: Great session before I leave for Mesa in the am. 2x12 5lb front raises and wood chops for warm up. 1 set of 20 reps explosive as possible at 20-30% of my max. Race grip bench at 55lbs. Super quick reps need a second waist belt to be more secure to bench. 25lb double arm back rows. Blasted right through until my waist belt went undone. Close grip bench with the barbell blasted right through. Speed set pf pull ups til fail reached 7 reps. 2x10 rear delt band pulls. Real deep burn in my rhomboids and core. Static stretched for 5 minutes to finish. All packed and ready to head to arizona. Get After It
Athlete SwagGreat job, this is what I like to hear! Have a safe trip tomorrow to Mesa.
Road Work: What a session!! Feeling primed and ready to fire it out in the hot sun Saturday in Arizona. Did a 7 minute warm up. 5 minutes of mobility stretches. 5 sprints focusing on starts transition and being explosive. First sprint had slow second and third strokes but picked it up from there. Second to fifth sprints were explosive start to finish and kept improving on acceleration power and top speeds. Everything felt really good. Hit 23, 25, 26, 26.8 & 29 km/hr. The last two sprints I ranged from 60-80m in distance and everything just clicked. Covered the final sprint in 16 seconds according to my cat eye and I was on an incline. Cooled down for 7 minutes to finish. Strength with James tonight to fire up the fast twitch muscle fibres. Get After It
Athlete SwagGreat session! I look forward to hearing about Arizona, sounds like you are prepared and ready to go!
Track Practice: Great workout to prepare for Desert Challenge. Did 10 minute warm up. 10 minutes of mobility stretches and fast twitch activation. Sprints: small pyramid (40, 60, 80, 100, 80, 60, 40). Focusing on starts and acceleration. All of them felt really good explosive pushes fast hands good transitions good top speeds for a soft track. Times were measured with my cat eye according to them pushed 9, 12, 15, 17/18, 15, 12, & 9 seconds so I was happy. Cooled down for 10 minutes. Static stretched for 5 minutes to finish. Hitting the road with Ueli in the to work on starts, speed and transitions. Get After It
Athlete SwagWay to prepare for Desert Challenge!
ASEA Warm up Meet: amazing races today extremly happy with my performances today. 100m was great pushed a very good race. Slipped on the start but regained form and hauled butt. Waiting to see official time but pushed approx 18.3 seconds. 200m had a great start and for some odd reason my chair hopped in the rear fixed it and kept moving forward. Last 100m i picked up frequency but not as smooth as i wanted. Tied my pb of 33.36 seconds. 400m was amazing hit 29.3 km/hr had an explosive start and kept accelerating and a great finish. Pushed a new personal best and provincial record of 61.8 seconds previous was 66.13!! So monster pb! Qualified for nationals in the 400m now super pumped. 800m rain was coming so glad i klistered up. Had a good start paced 24 km/hr for well over 500m pulled my buddy james most of the race. We battled around 550 then i went for it at 600m and never looked back. Pushed a new pb and pr of 2:14 previous from 2011 was 2:46. Super happy with the day and feeling super confident for Desert Challenge next weekend. Get After It
Track Practice: Solid practice good resistance with the strong head winds. Did a 10 minute warm up. Did 10 minutes of mobility stretches. Then a quick interview then repushed for 5 minutes to get loose again. Did some quick mobility stretching and fast twitch activation. Sprints: Small pyramid (40, 60, 80, 100, 80, 60, 40). With the strong head winds focus was on hand speed and delivering as much power as I could with the shorter strokes. Had strong starts in all of the sprints, quick hands and solid transitions; just no top speed so times were not there today. Felt tight in my lower back as well. Did 5 minutes of cool down then rain started to come down and with no klister didnt risk injury. Static stretched for 5 minutes. Rest day tomorrow to get ready for Saturdays race in Moncton. Get After It
Strength Training: half hour of track prior to lifting made for an amazing workout. Last workout of speed and power phase. Did warm up sets for bench presses. Race grip bench 2x4 reps.120lbs for speed. Really explosive reps. Banged them out. 170lbs for power. Deep burn in the chest and triceps. Had to dig deep last rep but powered through. 17 chin ups. Deep burn in lats biceps and traps. 13 pull ups deep burn im biceps and lats. Close grip bench press 2x4 reps. 100lbs for speed. Banged them out fast and explosive. 150lbs heavy my triceps were on fire by this time but I dug deep and locked out every rep. Back rows did 1x20 reps fast explosive reps at 30lbs to simulate how my muscles feel during a race. Banged them out with ease. Good burn in traps. Static stretched for 5 minutes to finish. Track in the am could be a wet one klister up. Get After It
Athlete SwagGreat job, nothing like a great burn!
Track Practice: Awesome short practice working on 200m acceleration out of corner. Did 5 minute warm up with 5 minutes of mobility stretches and fast twitch activation. Did 4x200m focusing on fast hands powerful strokes pushing with one hand while hitting my compensator time was measured by my speedometer. According to it I pushed 34, 33, 32 & 34 seconds. Had explosive starts fast hands great transitions hit 27.3 & 27.5 km/hr in the second and third sprints which are Raymond Field bests. I hit the compensator and did my one handed strokes solid and got back to two hands quickly. Bobbled on the last sprint but still hit 34 seconds. Im excited to see how this weekend Monctons going to go down. Went straight to the weight room after the track.
Athlete SwagWay to get a head start on your day!
- Ben Brown
- About Me:
- I'm 25 years old from Weston, Nova Scotia Canada. I race para track in the T-53 wheelchair classification in the 100m, 200m, 400m and 800m sprints as well as some 800ms and local road races. I'm ranked #1 in Nova Scotia, #2 in the Maritimes Provinces and #3 in Canada in the T-53 classification. I'm Canada's first paraplegic to race motocross. I am Nova Scotia's first para athlete to compete in both Summer and Winter Canada Games (09 for track 2011 for wheelchair basketball). I am currently ranked top 5 or better going into 2013 Summer Canada Games for 200m and 400m wheelchair track. I eat, sleep and breathe training, fitness, comepeting and racing in general. I love motocross as well and its how I got hurt over 5 and a half years ago but it didn't slow me down from still racing quads for 5 years and pushing myself beyond expectations. I also grew up playing recreational able bodied hockey and softball. I am also big into nutrition, love cooking, listening to music especially Metallica, watching movies and having a good laugh.
I would like to thank my sponsors for thier support: Doolys Greenwood, Frasers Pro Home Centre, Fundy Xpress Transport, Jungle Jims New Minas/Lew Murphys, Northridge Farms/Plant It Earth Natural Lawn Care, Somerset Market Convience and Gas Bar, Supplement King New Minas, Support Valley Sports, Valley Glass and Mirror, Valley Stove and Cycle and Winning Edge Sports.
- September 8, 1987
- Nova Scotia
- Favorite Teams:
- Detroit Red Wings, Green Bay Packers, Calgary Stampeders, Toronto Blue Jays, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Eskimos, Boston Red Sox, Acadia Axemen and Axewomen, Notre Dame Fighting Irish Football, Michigan Wolverines Basketball, Duke Blue Devils Basketball, Official Detroit Red Wings, Right to Dream Paralympians, GYM Motivation | quotes | videos | tips|, MLB, IAAF World Athletics Club, Monster jam
- Favorite Athletes:
- Steve Yzerman, Chad Wienen, Ricky Carmichael, John Natalie, Colin Mathieson, Brent Lakatos, Billy Bridges, Greg Westlake, Nicholas Lidstrom, Brendan Shannahan, Brett Favre, Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, Doug Gust, Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull, Patrick Roy, john natalie, Joe Carter, Roger Clemens, Martin Brodeur, Chris Chelios, Pavel Datsyuk, Shaun White, Mario Lemieux, Trey Canard, Phillipe Ryan Poulin - 100m Sprint Paralympic Athlete, Michelle Stilwell, Jackie Marciano, Stefanie Reid: Paralympic Track and Field Athlete, Rachael McIntosh, Ryan Dungey, Cam McQueen in Nitro Circus, Orlando Otero, Noella Klawitter, Ben Brown, Jeremie warnia62, Ryan Gauld, Kurt Angle, Dustin Wimmer, Randy "The Natural" Couture, John Cena - WWE Universe, Charles Woodson, Rick Hansen, Carmen Cunnington, Beau Baron #549, Aaron Rodgers, Henrik Zetterberg, Kimbo Slice, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Brock Lesnar, Chuck Liddell, Nicklas Lidström, GSP, Sidney Crosby, digger doug gust
- Favorite Sports:
- Snowmobiling, motocross, Weight training, Wheelchair Basketball, Track & Field, ATV Racing
- Favorite Sports Venues:
- Redbud Motocross, Unadilla MX, University of Windsor Track, Saint Marys University Track, Raymond Field
- Best Sports Memory:
- Qualifying for 2012 Canadian track and field championships, becoming Canada's first paraplgeic to race motocross, being Nova Scotia's first athlete to roll out during opening ceremonies of 2011 Canada Games on TSN, winning my last minor hockey gold medal and my last game scoring two goals. My first Canada Games in 2009 and my mom telling me how proud she was of me that day.
- Other Interests:
- Cooking, music, movies, working on my quad, riding quads, snwomobiles, motocross, off road truck racing.
- Email Address:
My roles within Baseball:
My roles within Basketball:
My roles within Football:
My roles within Hockey:
My roles within Rugby:
My roles within Softball:
Track And Field
My roles within Track And Field: